Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Bridge base fitment

I may fit a new bridge base. I am aware of the the SM fitment jig, and the typical process in general. However, I wish to do this for a guitar where the top sinks a good bit under string tension. So my question is - is any consideration ever made for deflection/distortion of the top under string tension? Or just shape the base to the unstressed top and assume it will be fine under tension?

Fit your bridge to the unstressed top. Then after the bridge is in its proper place and under full string tension use a piece of paper to check the fit of the bridge. If it has large gaps then use a bit of chalk dust applied to the paper to slide under the bridge and mark the underside of the bridge. With the bridge marked, after removal you can carefully scrape or sand away wood in the unmarked area of the bridge base. I often use a no. 10 Exacto blade or a rounded knife blade to use as a scraper. This is a slow process and there is some guess work involved. My guess is the distortion will be very slight with the addition of string tension.

Ok, I can do that. Now to decide if I want another two footer, or experiment with a single.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Or just have Matt make you new bridge and he will manage to get it perfect 2750 miles away from your actual guitar..
    He is amazing.
    JD

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed