The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 73 of 73
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    That's a very nice looking bridge. The design seems much better than the original Fender. The ferrules don't fit into the body holes, but they should work like that, as long as they don't fall off when you change the strings. Even if they do, they can be replaced, it's just a PITA to find them on the floor and pick them up. That's a nice looking Tele, and it will probably sound good, too.
    The ferrules are supposed to be like that. They have a lip on them. They're in the holes very securely.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Designed to scratch your belt buckle instead of the reverse, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Designed to scratch your belt buckle instead of the reverse, huh?
    Indeed.

Warmoth Telecaster build-strung-jpg

User Info Menu

I'll bet that just feels fantastic to play!

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I'll bet that just feels fantastic to play!
    Still dialing in the action, but yeah, it's really nice. The neck is substantially thicker than any of the others I own, so I'm getting used to that, but I like it.

User Info Menu

That came out really really nice! Congratulations and enjoy the guitar for a long time to come!
    I had a fret leveling and setup done professionally on all my Warmoth guitars and IMHO that paid off big time.

I managed to dial in a half-decent setup myself, but yes, I'll probably have that done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I managed to dial in a half-decent setup myself, but yes, I'll probably have that done.
    Have you checked the frets with a rocker to see if they actually need leveling? May be that only a fret or two needs a touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Have you checked the frets with a rocker to see if they actually need leveling? May be that only a fret or two needs a touch up.
    I'm going to take it to David (TruthHertz) for a final going over. I do believe at least a few frets need leveling. As well, I think the nut slots may need a tiny bit of widening. I trust that he'll do whatever is necessary, and nothing else.

User Info Menu

I'm going to take it to David (TruthHertz) for a final going over. I do believe at least a few frets need leveling. As well, I think the nut slots may need a tiny bit of widening. I trust that he'll do whatever is necessary, and nothing else.
    Does David have a commercial shop?

User Info Menu

Very helpful! Always nice to find someone who does good work! The schlep from Stow is no picnic but that is a different topic...

Very helpful! Always nice to find someone who does good work! The schlep from Stow is no picnic but that is a different topic...
    Dude. I live in Norwood, work in Marlborough, and play in Arlington. I know from schleps.

User Info Menu

Dude. I live in Norwood, work in Marlborough, and play in Arlington. I know from schleps.
    Yes you do! But there is more parking in all those towns than in David's neighborhood! There is so much more to a schlep than simple miles...

Yes you do! But there is more parking in all those towns than in David's neighborhood! There is so much more to a schlep than simple miles...
    That's true. There is, however, a giant parking garage across the street from his shop. It's not cheap, but when you're in a pinch, it's an option. (Just don't visit his shop on the same night that there's a symphony concert.)

I usually manage to find a metered space on Mass Ave.

Also, parking in Arlington Center is no picnic. Especially when there's a farmers' market in the big parking lot.

User Info Menu

You live a charmed life to easily find a space on Mass ave. Arlington Center has certainly gotten busier too.

Many thanks!

You live a charmed life to easily find a space on Mass ave. Arlington Center has certainly gotten busier too.

Many thanks!
    I never said it was easy! Only that I managed to.

User Info Menu

Hey Joe.. let us know what the assessment was on the frets (great, OK, not so great). Would think this sort of product would be pretty good from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Hey Joe.. let us know what the assessment was on the frets (great, OK, not so great). Would think this sort of product would be pretty good from the start.
    I will.

The conventional wisdom with Warmoth necks (and one that's consistent with my experience so far) is that they're good, but they do require a little bit of tweaking to get them just right. As it stands right now, with my attempt at a setup, it plays pretty well, but does have a few rattles and buzzes, mostly towards the nut end of the neck.

User Info Menu

gotta show this to you guys : over the holidays I put this together, after spending about 8 weeks choosing and sourcing the parts...
    The body is a Warmoth Tele with a Korina core and a Gaboon Ebony top. The top I got from Gilmer Woods since Warmoth could not supply a suitable piece of ebony. It's bound in Ivoroid and finished with a few coats of an oil supplied by Crimson Guitars in Great Britain. After the oil finish had cured I put on several coats of Renaissance Wax, also a british product, normally used for preserving antique furniture etc. The neck is from musikraft.com, baked birdseye maple , one piece (round C shape, on the large side) and fretted with 6105 stainless steel frets. This neck is markedly stiffer than my 25 year old maple neck from my first Warmoth Tele !
    I put in a pair of TV Jones Classic pickups and the bridge is a Hipshot model. This guitar has settled in now with a set of 011's and I didn't even need to touch the trussrod - it plays effortlessly, rings like a piano and has endless sustain ! The pickups give it a deep, full and balanced tone, with beautiful sparkling highs that are always pleasing while still retaining a woody warmth ... hmmmm, yummy.
    I am a happy camper ! This guitar can cover a broad range of tones, from anything twangy/rootsy/funky stuff to gutsy slide and warm jazz tones (I did wire in a treble bleed circuit since I run the volume pot all the time). I dreamed up the combo of Korina with a bound Ebony top for pure looks and as it turned out this works just dandy ! just sayin' .....

User Info Menu

Definitely a well thought out project. I really like the character of the ebony top. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

beautiful build - congratulations! I love the ebony top. It is really classy looking.
    A "Gretschy Tele" has always been one of my bucket list guitars.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys ! It is such a pleasure to play an instrument that you thought out and put together yourself ... My first Tele build has been with me since 1993, served me so well for all these years (my guess is about 350 gigs ....) and it still sees a lot of action. It's a traditional Tele with all Warmoth parts, a set of DiMarzio Area pickups and it still has the first frets , which had to be leveled only once.
    I have it strung with 011's like all my other solidbody guitars. I never felt the need /want for a different Tele because this one just feels so good. My inspiration back then came from Ted Greene, Ed Bickert and Danny Gatton ....
    This latest build cost me a bit more due to the expensive wood and hardware but still : when looking at the nicer models from Suhr, Melancon,
    Anderson, etc. it's cheap !!!!

?