Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Nice job with the sunburst!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Excellent work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Very impressive burst. You saying that is the first time you try spraying a burst on a guitar? I'm flabbergasted.

User Info Menu

Great job!!!

Some more progress. All the painting has been done, and I have scraped the binding. First time scraping the binding, and there is definitely a knack. When it goes well it is really satisfying, but there is a lot of scope for error. I went a bit too far in a couple of places, especially where the binding meets the neck in the cutaway, and also I got a bit of chipping on the point of the cytaway on the back. Since this is a bit of an opportunity to try stuff out, I shall fill in the colour with spirit stain and french polish, and see if I can hude them! I very pleased wit the neck, it almost looks like mahogany but is stained maple. One thing I am annoyed by is the headstock veneer that I put on to cover the filled and redrilled tuning machine holes, it is some kind of fibreboard. Nice as it is only 0.5mm thick or something, but annoying as it is very rogh on the surface. I think I will experiment by pouring epoxy over to see if I can get a thick enough layer to sand flat. The only problem is that the epoxy I have takes a few days to set. I think I will do an aged binding as it is a little stained in places and a subtle amber will probably mask that. Here are some pictures.

Archtop kit-img_1045-jpgArchtop kit-img_1046-jpgArchtop kit-img_1048-jpgArchtop kit-img_1052-jpgArchtop kit-img_1055-jpg

Archtop kit-img_1051-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Archtop kit-img_1051-jpg
    Really nice! How do you get paint off the binding? Just curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Seriously nice burst. How did you do it? Did you tint your finish or spray just the dye over a seal coat? Airbrush or detail gun? What dyes did you use? What is the clear coat, nitro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scraped the paint off the binding with a scraping tool I made myself. It is a sort of thick bladed knife that tapers with a square end. I'll put up a picture. Thanks for the compliment rlrhett. I decided to spray a clearcoat first as I had made repairs and didn't want to accentuate them with stain. I used tinted 1k smart repair car lacquer as a base for the tints. I have used nitro but it is harder to get hold of. I used liquid light fast stain to tint the lacquer. I only have a few colours so had to mix them up to get the colours I wanted which were a golden yellow, black and a red brown. The spray gun I used is a touch up gun for small repairs on cars. It seems a good size for guitars!

I've finished it except for the pickguard. Not sure what type of bracket to use yet. Here are some pictures. It is very heavy and plays quite well.
    Archtop kit-kit-fin-1-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-2-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-3-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-4-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-5-jpg

Archtop kit-kit-fin-6-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-7-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-8-jpg

Sorry it is so dusty, I have been assembling this guitar in a room that is being replastered at the mo so it is very dusty. There are also fingerprints all over the back which I should have wiped off!
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 09-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon

Sorry it is so dusty, I have been assembling this guitar in a room that is being replastered at the mo so it is very dusty. There are also fingerprints all over the back which I should have wiped off!
    No worries - great job nonetheless

User Info Menu

That upper fret access looks superb!

I made this guitar so I could keep it out around the house, and not mind too much if it gets bashed a bit. However the pickups were pretty bad, and although it played ok, I never felt it was particularly nice, slightly awkward feeling. I then spotted an eastman 371 for £400 not so far from me, but I thought, I really don't want to add to the tally of guitars, most of which are in a bit of a state, and which I need to fix up, so I thought I would change the pickups and add a pickguard. The pickups are some Alnico 2 humbuckers marketed by Vanson. Only £30 for the pair, but seem a great improvement, a much clearer sound, and the tone controls seem to have some effect too now. The pickguard has made it much more pleasant to play too so I think I will keep it. I suppose the look is a bit es 175, a bit es 125 with that pickguard. It's not the prettiest guitar, but I think I will forgo the Eastman, even though it is very tempting. I've included a picture of that too. However I think the urge to buy a real 175 will get the better of me sometime, I just have to wait for one that grabs me to come up for sale near where I live.

Archtop kit-kit-14-jpgArchtop kit-_86-jpg

User Info Menu

I think you made the right decision! I you want a real 175, then the Eastman won't scratch that itch. Until then you can enjoy this guitar. Great craftsmanship!