Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archtop kit

Archtop kit-img_1051-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon View Post
    Archtop kit-img_1051-jpg
    Really nice! How do you get paint off the binding? Just curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Seriously nice burst. How did you do it? Did you tint your finish or spray just the dye over a seal coat? Airbrush or detail gun? What dyes did you use? What is the clear coat, nitro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scraped the paint off the binding with a scraping tool I made myself. It is a sort of thick bladed knife that tapers with a square end. I'll put up a picture. Thanks for the compliment rlrhett. I decided to spray a clearcoat first as I had made repairs and didn't want to accentuate them with stain. I used tinted 1k smart repair car lacquer as a base for the tints. I have used nitro but it is harder to get hold of. I used liquid light fast stain to tint the lacquer. I only have a few colours so had to mix them up to get the colours I wanted which were a golden yellow, black and a red brown. The spray gun I used is a touch up gun for small repairs on cars. It seems a good size for guitars!

I've finished it except for the pickguard. Not sure what type of bracket to use yet. Here are some pictures. It is very heavy and plays quite well.
    Archtop kit-kit-fin-1-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-2-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-3-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-4-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-5-jpg

Archtop kit-kit-fin-6-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-7-jpgArchtop kit-kit-fin-8-jpg

Sorry it is so dusty, I have been assembling this guitar in a room that is being replastered at the mo so it is very dusty. There are also fingerprints all over the back which I should have wiped off!
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 09-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon View Post

Sorry it is so dusty, I have been assembling this guitar in a room that is being replastered at the mo so it is very dusty. There are also fingerprints all over the back which I should have wiped off!
    No worries - great job nonetheless
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

"I never practice. I just open the guitar case and throw in a piece of meat." (Wes Montgomery)

That upper fret access looks superb!

I made this guitar so I could keep it out around the house, and not mind too much if it gets bashed a bit. However the pickups were pretty bad, and although it played ok, I never felt it was particularly nice, slightly awkward feeling. I then spotted an eastman 371 for £400 not so far from me, but I thought, I really don't want to add to the tally of guitars, most of which are in a bit of a state, and which I need to fix up, so I thought I would change the pickups and add a pickguard. The pickups are some Alnico 2 humbuckers marketed by Vanson. Only £30 for the pair, but seem a great improvement, a much clearer sound, and the tone controls seem to have some effect too now. The pickguard has made it much more pleasant to play too so I think I will keep it. I suppose the look is a bit es 175, a bit es 125 with that pickguard. It's not the prettiest guitar, but I think I will forgo the Eastman, even though it is very tempting. I've included a picture of that too. However I think the urge to buy a real 175 will get the better of me sometime, I just have to wait for one that grabs me to come up for sale near where I live.

Archtop kit-kit-14-jpgArchtop kit-$_86-jpg

I think you made the right decision! I you want a real 175, then the Eastman won't scratch that itch. Until then you can enjoy this guitar. Great craftsmanship!
    :: Jazz, Funk, Soul, Groove & Boogaloo: My group ::
    :: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! ::

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed