The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Very excited to collect this in the summer, just thought I'd share a few pics on the guitar Daniel is building for me, think he's only done a few laminate tops, he's even found me a 62' P-90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 55bar; 04-03-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Title typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow !
    Just wow !
    And it's only the beginning ....

User Info Menu

Nice! Maple laminate? Daniel makes outstanding guitars; you'll be pleased.

User Info Menu

hah, he's really got that slaman lookin like gibson on headstock!!

congrats!...terrific looking guitar..sure its gonna be a killer

cheers

User Info Menu

Congrats on the build,
    So is that a Jim Hall, ES-175 project ?

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Congrats on the build,
    Correct.

User Info Menu

Nice! I wonder how many laminates he used for the top?

User Info Menu

Great - thanks for sharing this!

User Info Menu

Beautiful project. Daniel is an incredible luthier.

Contrats !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Congrats on the build,
    Very nice project! Why the x-bracing and not parallel? That would be 'historically correct' for a 175.

User Info Menu

I don't know if this will help you or not, but as a teenager, I had a conversation with the person who customized Jim Hall's ES 175. His name was James D'Aquisto. Jimmy told me that he made an ebony bridge for Jim Hall, and that he also changed the pick up to a Guild humbucking pick up.

I suppose it depends on how close you want to get to Jim Hall's tone during that time period as to whether or not you would attempt to find a Guild humbucking to pick up from that era. I hope this helps. Your new guitar looks amazing, by the way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Beautiful project. Daniel is an incredible luthier.

Contrats !
    And Fred Archtop should know.Look at his avatar.Wow! No way you're not going to love this guitar.Can't wait to see her finished.

User Info Menu

Awesome project! Cannot wait to hear it here!

Quote Originally Posted by GO'C
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but as a teenager, I had a conversation with the person who customized Jim Hall's ES 175. His name was James D'Aquisto. Jimmy told me that he made an ebony bridge for Jim Hall, and that he also changed the pick up to a Guild humbucking pick up.

I suppose it depends on how close you want to get to Jim Hall's tone during that time period as to whether or not you would attempt to find a Guild humbucking to pick up from that era. I hope this helps. Your new guitar looks amazing, by the way

Thank you for this info! Yes I think the pickup was a guild HB-1, I was lucky enough to play with him when I was a teenager, I wish I could do that again I'd have a lot more questions to ask him!

User Info Menu

yes jimmy d used the guild hb-1...which he probably could source easily from guild, who was nearby..(back then guitar parts were not widely available like they are now!)...they are slightly larger sized than a standard humbucker

tho for me the classic hall tone is his p90 era

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Any news on your new Slaman? I play an es-175CC and I'm keen to have Daniel build me one like your Jim Hall project. I prefer the laminate top and single coil, too!

User Info Menu

I am still confused about why you went for x-bracing instead of parallel as Jim's guitar would have had. Any particular reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I am still confused about why you went for x-bracing instead of parallel as Jim's guitar would have had. Any particular reason for that?
    Hi Jay, no reason apart from my lack of knowledge on Gibson bracing, maybe Daniel could answer that better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabor
    Any news on your new Slaman? I play an es-175CC and I'm keen to have Daniel build me one like your Jim Hall project. I prefer the laminate top and single coil, too!
    Hey Yeah I was looking at the 175CC, no news yet think it will be mid summer before it's ready, I'll post some pics once it's done.

User Info Menu

Wow, I'm sooo jealous

Great to hear that he also does laminates. Does he use his own made laminates?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    Wow, I'm sooo jealous

Great to hear that he also does laminates. Does he use his own made laminates?
    Hi Mike, I'm really looking forward to it being finished. I'm not really a nerd when it comes down to the specifics. There are lots of details on his site though

Some more pics of the "jim Hall" project for anyone who's interested, should be ready very soon.

It arrived yesterday, been so bogged down learning up some music I've not really had chance to play it.
    Initial impression, it smells great, plays great, acoustically well balanced even throughout the neck. Not plugged it in yet.

User Info Menu

Wow, congrats. Great looking guitar.
    I got my lefty Slaman Sister lasr week and I'm totally in love with it.

Daniel is a true master, enjoy your guitar!

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous 'jazz' guitar. Such phenomenal specs. Congratulations - enjoy!