The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 116

User Info Menu

This is impressive, and I love that you use hand tools.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for another installment Jehu. We're all watching and in awe of the use of the hand tools. Have a great holiday!

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see both of those beautiful woods with some lacquer on them.

User Info Menu

What everybody else said!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

What will you go about the little chunk missing at the base of the backside? It sure seems aesthetically promising.

User Info Menu

I am in awe.
    I dream of doing something like this.
    The patience you have is amazing. By using hand tools, not only will the guitar come out more meaningful, but it will add years to your life in the process.
    Amazing. That's all I can say.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    Yes, it is but hardwood and softwood just designate whether the tree is an angiosperm (hardwood) or a gymnosperm (softwood) and has no bearing on the density of the timber. Basically the hardwoods are deciduous and the softwoods are evergreens. Balsa is a hardwood but is not a hard wood.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!

fritz -- yep, what Jason said. And this feels like a fairly hard softwood. It should provide a decent density contrast with the soft WRC soundboard. (If you believe such things are important... the top and back of my first build were of the same species, and the world kept on spinning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thecytochromec
    What will you go about the little chunk missing at the base of the backside? It sure seems aesthetically promising.
    I'm pretty sure that falls into the arch profile, but we'll find out soon enough!

User Info Menu

Despite some holiday distractions, luthiatin' has continued!

I kept carving the top to approximate thickness...
    The Itch Returns...-2015-12-28-17-31-53-jpg

... and then scraped out the plane marks. There's nothing worse than sanding, so getting proficient with a variety of edge tools is a very worthwhile pursuit. (Fun fact: The skilled cabinetmakers of yesteryear used abrasives not for smoothing, but to rough up surfaces. Their planes left surfaces so smooth they would have difficulty taking a finish.)
    The Itch Returns...-2015-12-28-18-19-31-jpg

Then I cut the f-holes with a fretsaw and carefully snuck up on the edges with sanding sticks.
    The Itch Returns...-2016-01-03-12-50-46-jpg

I rough-fit the braces and then spent many an hour refining them with carbon paper, a chisel, and a riffler. Then I worked on some other stuff for a week or two while waiting for the humidity to dip down before glueing them in place.
    The Itch Returns...-2016-01-08-10-14-14-jpg

At this point things were looking a little too pretty for my tastes, so I uglied the scene up with some precautionary glue-soaked gauze and centre-seam cleats (or as I like to call them, "Tone Pyramids").
    The Itch Returns...-2016-01-08-16-20-32-jpg

I've decided to go with unbound f-holes on this one, as I plan to include a sound port which will also be unbound. I came up with a number of less traditional f-hole designs, but in the end stuck with the classic look for this build. I'll be keeping a couple of the more interesting options for a smaller bodied (15.5"?) archtop I have knocking around in my brain...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    and centre-seam cleats (or as I like to call them, "Tone Pyramids").

User Info Menu

firkin' awesome.
    Last edited by travisty; 01-08-2016 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. You are inspiring me!

User Info Menu

Keep em coming

you make it look so easy...

User Info Menu

Beautiful stuff Jehu. I liked the gauze and glue reinforcement. Can't wait for the next photos.

User Info Menu

Awesome thread, Jehu. Out of curiosity, are you up north or down south?

User Info Menu

Thanks, Dedalus. I'm up in Auckland (soon Whangaparaoa).

User Info Menu

Yes. I was going to say that grain already looks really good...

I have always loved resonant solid bodies..
    ( nowhere near the skill level required to build as an Archtop)-

And wonder why Cedar has not been used more ( like a thicker bodied set neck Strat /Cedarcaster for much deeper tones..).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    And wonder why Cedar has not been used more ( like a thicker bodied set neck Strat /Cedarcaster for much deeper tones..).
    Solid chunks of cedar are surprisingly light, so on a purely practical level, neck dive could become an issue.

On a not-so-practical level, in a world where players feel that brass vs. nickel truss rod screws mess with their tele's resonant properties, I could imagine resistance to a very light solid-body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I'm in awe.
    Me too, I can't hand saw a piece of wood two inches in a straight line. I would have made that cedar into wedges.

User Info Menu

Sorry folks, I'll have another update soon!

But in the meantime, I'll admit I got a bit distracted. A few months back my Dad gave me an old straight razor that belonged to my great-great-grandfather who brought it from Scotland to Canada many moons ago.

The blade was quite good for its age, but it had a sad, cracked set of horn scales (that's Fancy Razor Talk for "handle", as I've learned).
    The Itch Returns...-original-jpg

So I used a chunk of leftover Arizona Cypress from the back and a piece of Puriri as a wedge, and made a new set.
    The Itch Returns...-new-scales-2-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-new-scales-3-jpg

On topic, though, we do get a glimpse of how that Cypress is going to look under a finish!
    Last edited by Jehu; 01-24-2016 at 04:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Gosh! Joy. That's really purdy.
    Makes me want to build a shop (and have time to play in it).
    If I had any plans to do so my wife would hate you.

User Info Menu

Love the razor.

User Info Menu

Man, if a razor looks that good, just imagine the guitar!!

User Info Menu

Nice work.Your great great grandfather would be proud.