Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Great interviews

The interviewer does an excellent job, and Marty shares gold - anecdotes about playing hot music, and more.
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-27-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    "Each heart vibrates to that iron string."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    (who obviously played in Carl Kress tuning)

(Changed the thread title to broaden the scope.)

The late Mickey Roker (RIP):
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bucky Pizzarelli:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice collection. If I may add.....

“When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

A lot of cool thoughts here. Missing: "how I went from being in High School to playing with the Duke Ellington band." This has bothered me about so many musicians' bios in the past.

I guess we know the answer though: lots of transcribing, ear training and all-day practice.

And just for fun, slight derail:

Kenny's concert was still the best I've seen this year, of many excellent shows.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    Nice collection. If I may add.....

That is an excellent series of interviews.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY View Post

A lot of cool thoughts here. Missing: "how I went from being in High School to playing with the Duke Ellington band." This has bothered me about so many musicians' bios in the past.

I guess we know the answer though: lots of transcribing, ear training and all-day practice.

And just for fun, slight derail:

Kenny's concert was still the best I've seen this year, of many excellent shows.
    Great advice in Kenny's speech and also seeing him play piano. Seems like all horn players play piano and some as good as most piano players. Piano teaches visually and aurally.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

Please keep 'em coming!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

An old classic with Branford.

Hey DeeTee, your wish is my command...

Music and interview, real cool, nice....
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

Lots of great advice for young Jazzers.

These are some really great interviews. Thanks.
    "If I don't practice for a day, I know it... for two days, the critics know it... three days, the public knows it." -- Louis Armstrong

Hatfield, PA. Have also lived in Riverdale, NY, Brooklyn, NY, The Hague, Netherlandd
    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    The interviewer does an excellent job, and Marty shares gold - anecdotes about playing hot music, and more.
    Gold, indeed, and good advice from a great raconteur---though I question his assertion that the young bebop musos in the '40s somehow encouraged or benefitted from the press-created 'rift' (beboppers/moldy figs). They (the bebop guys) were ignored and totally misunderstood by the press except for maybe Barry Ulanov, Leonard Feather, a few years later Ira Gitler and dan Morgenstern. (No one remembers that the black pianist-composer Herbie Nichols was reviewing Monk and 'getting it' in the 'race' journals).

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned that Mr. Grosz's father was the famous German-American cartoonist George Grosz...
    Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble

---Me

Great advice from one of my favorites.

Hatfield, PA. Have also lived in Riverdale, NY, Brooklyn, NY, The Hague, Netherlandd
    Eddie Diehl Movie:

Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble

---Me

I did this course last year...

Jazz: The Music, The Stories, The Players | edX

seems to be unavailable now but it's run by Monk Rowe & these interviews come from his archive - there are hundreds of 'em LOTS of fascinating stuff - (the course is worth doing too if it re-appears)

I did this course last year... Jazz: The Music, The Stories, The Players | edX seems to be unavailable now but it's run by Monk Rowe & these interviews come from his archive - there are hundreds of 'em LOTS of fascinating stuff - (the course is worth doing too if it re-appears) edit: It seems you have to sign up for the course to see the videos (aside from the ones on youtube obviously), here's the audio/pdf page to all the interviews...let's get lost. Jazz Archive - Interviews - Hamilton College

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed