The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 123

User Info Menu

Greetings, and thanks ahead of time for any opinions and/or suggestions.

I have spent most of my time that past 30+ years listening to instrumental jazz, but recently have really wanted to start singing more, and adding some vocals to a solo set.

My problem, other than listening to Sinatra, Dianne Krall and Nat Kin Cole I don't have a lot of back ground in vocalist to be either influenced or inspired by.

So I was wondering if any here could provide a list of a few of their favorites that could help better introduce me to some great male vocalist that may help inspire this new passion and/or venture

Thanks again!

P.S. - And any specific CD's of someone playing in such a stripped down solo or duo style performance would be appreciated or welcomed as well
    Last edited by acoustictones; 10-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't limit yourself to male vocalists. There's a lot to learn and be inspired by from singers like Ella, Billie Holliday, Nina Simone, Dinah Washington, Lena Horn and more.

That said, Tony Bennett is a classic (I actually prefer his later stuff because he "swings" more), and check out Louis Armstrong for his phrasing. Speaking of phrasing, Willie Nelson is actually quite an accomplished jazz guy, and his vocal phrasing on his jazz stuff is very very cool.

And as a guitar player, I would be remiss if I didn't mention George Benson.

User Info Menu

John Pizzarelli for both vocals and guitar.

User Info Menu

Here is a little sample of me doing my thing. I don't know exactly how "inspirational" this is, but you should be able to hear a lot of classic influences in my vocal style. In particular, Sinatra, Bennett, with a hint of Ella and Nat "King" Cole are probably evident.

User Info Menu

Check out the duos from Joe Pass and Ella Fitz and the two "My Name is Julie" discs from Julie London, one has Barney Kessel and the other has Howard Roberts (with a bass player on each as well).
    Brad

User Info Menu

Vocal artist currently in heavy rotation on my iPod for inspiration:

-Frank Sinatra
    -Dean Martin
    -Harry Connick Jr.
    -Nat King Cole Trio (Complete Capital Transcription Sessions - 71 songs)
    -Diana Krall
    -Ella Fitzgerald

User Info Menu

Good call with the Harry Connick. The guy's got chops.

User Info Menu

Don't listen to much male Jazz vocalists especially the old school ones, but do listen to some Jimmy Scott now and then. I like some of the newer male Jazzers like Jose James, Gregory Porter, Bilal. I when listening Jazz vocals old Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, Esther Phillips, Rachelle Ferrell, early Diana Krall, Gretchen Parlato, Luciana Souza. Big fan of Cassandra Wilson.

User Info Menu

Just spend some time listening to the "Vocal Jazz Standards" Pandora station and note the people that you really like.

Male:
    Louis Armstrong
    Bing Crosby
    Nat Cole
    Frank Sinatra
    Dean Martin
    Bobby Darin
    Mel Torme
    Joe Wilson

Female:
    Billie Holiday
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Sarah Vaughan
    Julie London

There are tons of amazing singers out there.

User Info Menu

Loving the suggestions and names that are being thrown out there. Some great stuff that I have, but hadn't included on my playlist or iPod. Keep 'em comin' if there are any other favorites.

User Info Menu

Shirley Horn and Joao Gilberto. Space, patience, time and elegance.

User Info Menu

Chet Baker!
    Bobby McFerrin
    Kurt Elling
    Gregory Porter
    Michael Franks
    Al Jarreau
    Mose Allison

Mos Def....

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-25-2014 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Kevin Mahagony , among current singers, is outstanding.

Further back, Billy Eckstein, Johnny Hartman

User Info Menu

Sarah Vaughn/ Anita O'day, Ella Fitzgerald, Beverly kenney, etc..........

User Info Menu

EightString, nice voice. nice singing.

User Info Menu

Kurt Elling. Gretchen Parlato. And minneapolis local girl Maud Hixson who has a clean and direct way of delivering the song. Maud was my next door neighbor when she was just starting out.

User Info Menu

Norma Winstone.

User Info Menu

Patti with Tuck and Patti has some great lines as well. I hadn't listened to her in a few years, but liked what I heard yesterday while spinning some old tracks with Tuck.

Also George Benson has been fun to dig into again. I'm usually listening to more of his guitar work, but I have been paying more attention to some of his vocals and scatting the past week. Great stuff indeed.

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong
    Frank Sinatra
    Peggy Lee
    Julie London
    Nat Cole
    Rosemary Clooney
    Bing Crosby
    Bobby Darrin
    Tony Bennett
    Dean Martin
    Harry Connick Jr.
    Hoagy Carmichael
    Lena Horne
    Jane Monheit
    Jo Stafford
    Mel Torme
    Johnny Hartman
    Judy Garland
    Mildred Bailey
    Ann Hampton Callaway
    Sarah Vaughn

User Info Menu

Yeah, I dig Harry Connick Jr. and George Benson too.

Ella Fitzgerald and George Benson's scatting chops and jazz vocabulary are pretty much out of this world if you're looking for that aspect of jazz vocalists. Ella is the real deal, imho. Who are the other vocalists that have the jazz improvisation scatting skills that these two have? (for my own listening opportunities).

User Info Menu

On heavy rotation on my iPod is Steve Tyrell (Standard Time, A New Standard). Cool, raspy delivery with superb arrangements of many of my favorite tunes. Hell, even I can sound like him.

I had cast about for a while for modern Female vocalists that appealed to me. I love Stacey Kent because she can sing in French (!), and has a great small band that sounds like they are playing in a club. No lush strings or big band arrangements.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Yeah, I dig Harry Connick Jr. and George Benson too.

Ella Fitzgerald and George Benson's scatting chops and jazz vocabulary are pretty much out of this world if you're looking for that aspect of jazz vocalists. Ella is the real deal, imho. Who are the other vocalists that have the jazz improvisation scatting skills that these two have? (for my own listening opportunities).
    Dizzy Gillespie was a ridiculous scatter if you can find the few examples. He sings on a couple of tunes in his discography and was pretty awesome. I've never understood why he didn't sing more.

Obviously Louis Armstrong, who invented it.

Mel Torme is incredibly good at it, too.

User Info Menu

I'm just nuts about Gregory Porter right now.

User Info Menu

I listen to instrumental jazz almost exclusively, too. But here are the names that came to my mind:

TUCK & PATTI - the best vocal/guitar duo ever
    Joe & Ella - were already named
    Friend & Fellow - close to T&P but with acoustic guitar
    Check out Kenny Poole with Liz Anthony. Again female vocals but Kenny is a monster on guitar!!!

Torsten Goods - a german singer/guitarist. I just know that he sings, but haven't checked him out.
    Nils Landgren
    Sting
    Cory Sea is an unknown guy I stumbled upon on Youtube.
    There are duo videos of Ron Eschete with Dewey Erney on youtube. I don't really like the vocals but check it yourself.

User Info Menu

Anita Wardell. A musician whose instrument is her voice.

+1 Stacey Kent