Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

goodbye Toots !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Farewell Toots Thielemans (1922-2016)

Another legendary musician has passed away. Sad to share the news that Toots Thielemans died earlier today.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-dies-aged-94

Toots Thielemans RIP-toots-jpgToots Thielemans RIP-toots2-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 08-22-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added a nice photo of Toots playing guitar

User Info Menu

The Guardian obit didn't see fit to mention his guitar playing (or his whistling), I notice:

User Info Menu

Sorry no harmonica in this version.

One of the earliest jazz albums that I fell in love with - even with the shmaltzy string arrangements - was the Contrasts album. Check it out on youtube - well worth listening to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The Guardian obit didn't see fit to mention his guitar playing (or his whistling), I notice:
    The New York Times mentioned his guitar playing in their article. He did a lot of albums with other players that aren't mentioned in the article. I know he did one with piano player Fred Hersch that I thought was fantastic.

I absolutely love Thielemans harmonica. It puts me in another world.

David B., thanks for the post. It was sad news to wake up to this morning. RIP Toots!

User Info Menu

Toots died this morning ,aged 94
    RIP ,you was So kind!
    He was living next me,in a little Town 4 Miles away from my house
    HB

User Info Menu

O, man. Sad to hear this. RIP.

User Info Menu

(Two separate threads announcing the death of Toots have now been merged. Others may follow.)

(Now three.)

(And now, four.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 08-22-2016 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

After his stroke, he couldn't play guitar as fast as he used to, so he played fewer notes and tried to make every one count. (I heard a similar story about Les Paul as he got older.)

“I can’t play bebop now,” he later told Dutch journalist René Steenhorst. But, he added, “All those fast notes didn’t make me that popular anyway. It’s much better now. I actually play the main line of a tune now. I say more with less.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...mepage%2Fstory

My absolute favorite Toots song--in this performance he was a young 90 years old...

User Info Menu

And another one--he looks like he finds Elis Regina as adorable as I do...

User Info Menu

Another article about Toots' passing.

Toots Thielemans dies in his sleep at 94

User Info Menu

Dying in your sleep at 94 sounds like a great exit stratagy.

RIP Toots...

User Info Menu

RIP, Toots.

He was one of Quincey Jones' favorites.

User Info Menu

Wonderful musician in my view! He will be sorely missed.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the music, Toots.

User Info Menu

2016 has not been kind to musicians.

User Info Menu

Guitarist, harmonica player, whistler and composer.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...5bc_story.html

User Info Menu

rip tt

rickenbacker!

cheers

User Info Menu

his signature,Toots Thielemans RIP-toots-jpgafter several beers with him,3 years ago

HB

User Info Menu

What a tragedy to see Toots Thielemans gone ... Mr. Thielemans was hands down one of the best!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/ar...imes&smtyp=cur

User Info Menu

Rest in peace man!

Thank You those beautiful songs, and jazz moments.

Let God's mercy be with You...

User Info Menu

RIP Toots Theilmans. Beloved by musicians world wide. He had a huge impact on me and the sense of joy and beauty he brought to everything he did was inspiring. Toots played with the best jazz musicians on the world stage and was also on many commercials and famous film scores ... like Midnight Cowboy. If he'd only written Bluesette that would have been enough but he gave the world music community much more.

User Info Menu

Very sad to hear.
    Back in HS, I met him at a jazz festival. I was playing in an 'all-star' kid band, and he was playing in the all-star festival band.
    We did a sound check in the afternoon, and I was borrowing my friend's Kustom 100 amp.
    When we finished, I started packing up my guitar, and I turned around and my friend's amp was gone.
    The All-Star Festival band started getting set up for their rehearsal, and without even asking me, Toots and Ron Carter decided they were going to use my friend's amp for the rehearsal!

I told my friend about it, and he said it was okay (not that they gave him a choice!).
    Toots saw that I was a star-struck little kid, and commanded me: "Slave- you will move the amp over there!", and i willingly obeyed.
    Toots played his guitar for the rehearsal with the sound turned down, and rather than read his parts, just improvised silently over the changes!
    Toots was featured on harmonica for the concert at night, and brought the house down.
    RIP, Toots.

User Info Menu

Sad day, indeed.

User Info Menu

What a long, amazing career he's had.

Apparently, he used to introduce his tune Bluesette to his audience by saying: "And now I'd like to play my social security number..."

RIP Toots