The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

This thread is not meant for bashing or controversy. I remember an old thread about a certain free improviser that resulted in a lot of argument.

In a few weeks I'm going to have a go at playing in a free jazz ensemble, and I've been drawing from improvisers that inspire me for ideas. Some are more well known than others. Here are a few. I'll start with one that is relatively less well known but one of my favorites:

1) Jeff Parker

I've had the fortune of seeing him play several times and taking a few lessons from him. He has a strong funk and hip hop influence as well as bebop. Some of his melodic ideas come from modern classical music (check out references to Stravinsky's cantata in his latest album).

2) Derek Bailey (obviously)

3) Otomo Yoshihide

4) Taku Sugimoto
    Minimal but wholly entrancing music.

5) Mary Halvorson
    I like her stuff with Thumbscrew the best. Very cool sound, incorporating non-tonal harmony and free improvisation in very elaborately composed and arranged music.

6) Nels Cline
    Clearly has a strong rock influence. I think he has spent a lot of time getting to know his effects and he uses them very well in improvisation.

7) Bill Frisell
    I'm always amazed at how he's able to say so much by doing so little. He has a large presence, but always provides context for free interaction.

8) Marc Ribot
    Love his incorporation of the gritty blues sound in the genre.

9) Eugene Chadbourne
    A country-playing maniac.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Frisell is one of my favorite "free" players (I say "free" in quotes because so much of this stuff still has structure and form, just perhaps not "chord changes")...it's hard to play free in the first place, but to play free in a ballad format...crazy hard! I think of some of the free improvisations on his records with Lovano/Motian...

I love to play free...I spend some time doing it every day...maybe I'll post some here sometime...it usually goes over like a lead balloon...

Playing free on guitar is tough...these are some nice examples you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think of some of the free improvisations on his records with Lovano/Motian...
    "I have the room above her" comes to mind: Frisell, Lovano, Motian. What a mood that whole record has. That's actually an interesting example. The form doesn't seem to have been pre-defined and the improvisation is unscripted, but the outcome is very tonal.

I'd love to hear some of your free playing, Jeff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    "I have the room above her" comes to mind: Frisell, Lovano, Motian. What a mood that whole record has. That's actually an interesting example. The form doesn't seem to have been pre-defined and the improvisation is unscripted, but the outcome is very tonal.

I'd love to hear some of your free playing, Jeff.
    Well, thank you, I'll indulge myself (and subject others) soon.

Yeah, "I have the room" is probably a desert island disc for me...and yes, very tonal, very melodic, but parts of that record are definitely "hiking without a compass." I suppose it depends on how players hear things, Frisell and Lovano are such great melodic players, they're not going to shed that completely, even when not restricted to chord changes.

Motian's playing on those records is just amazing to me...the drums become a third melody instrument. Talk about playing pulse and not time!

User Info Menu

The annual Motian/Frisell/Lovano gig at the Vanguard was a must attend event for me for years. Oh, do I miss that band...

Bill Frisell is playing with the Bad Plus there in October.

User Info Menu

This be me when I get like lost in the changes. These things happen and you go from in the pocket to free....

User Info Menu

Sonny Sharrock, this one Last Exit was pretty up there with tsunami jazz but he's done so much in many sound genres.

Bern Nix once with Ornette's Prime Time, in a nice solo exploration

Garrison Fewell combined his deep rooting in traditional bebop with the world of free jazz that opened up to him. We had many a late night talk sharing our worlds and the characters that populated them. A very overlooked figure in the free scene.

David

Can't forget Elliott Sharp! Here he is performing some mutilations of Monk's corpus.

User Info Menu

There's a guy in NY, Dom Minasi. I'm surprised no one's mentioned him. I knew about him for years and we finally spoke on the phone before I split the Mango. Real good cat.

He has as much grounding in 'in' playing as anyone, so he's no BSer. I'll post some stuff when I have time. Very interesting stuff, and I admire not only his courage, but anyone who would stake out such a chancy territory (I mean career-wise). That stuff ain't for the feint of heart...

User Info Menu

Joe Morris

User Info Menu

some great names^...(sharrock!) but not yet mentioned-

pete cosey, keith rowe of the amm (very early 60's uk ), sonny greenwich, fred frith, arto lindsay, tisziji munoz, gerry fitzgerald, hans reichel

a great site for this kind of stuff is

PREPARED GUITAR

sadly the site has been dormant for awhile now, but still has much great info archived

here's pete cosey with miles..the fireworks begin around the 5 minute mark

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    some great names^...(sharrock!) but not yet mentioned-

pete cosey, keith rowe of the amm (very early 60's uk ), sonny greenwich, fred frith, arto lindsay, tisziji munoz, gerry fitzgerald, hans reichel

a great site for this kind of stuff is

PREPARED GUITAR

sadly the site has been dormant for awhile now, but still has much great info archived

here's pete cosey with miles..the fireworks begin around the 5 minute mark

cheers
    Damn! that was cool. What a lineup in that band. Watching miles 'conduct' is pretty neat too.

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    There's a guy in NY, Dom Minasi. I'm surprised no one's mentioned him. I knew about him for years and we finally spoke on the phone before I split the Mango. Real good cat.

He has as much grounding in 'in' playing as anyone, so he's no BSer. I'll post some stuff when I have time. Very interesting stuff, and I admire not only his courage, but anyone who would stake out such a chancy territory (I mean career-wise). That stuff ain't for the feint of heart...
    Good stuff! I had never heard him before, but there's loads of stuff on youtube. Wonderful to hear.

User Info Menu

Loved Last Exit since I first heard them in 88.

Chadbourne, though, doesn't seem to belong to free jazz to my ears. Bless his heart, but in the vid the OP posted and others, he's got a bit too much structure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    So when does it stop being pretentious and self-indulgent and start being music? Just plinking some sounds out is NOT music as far as I'm concerned. A chimpanzee can do that, or a computer, or a 2-year old.

I think the 'free' stuff has its place but I'm not sure what that place is, not as a serious art form, anyway. And not for very long.

I do wish you'd discuss this!
    Hell yeah! I feel the same way about Bartok. Stop with the squawking why don't you?
    What were you thinking? No. I don't want to know. I just hear a two year old.
    I like Vivaldi. Enough with the other stuff.
    Yup, anybody can hear what they want, based on their knowledge, imagination and integrity. Same can be said of the creative process. Knowledge is the great leveler.

David

User Info Menu

I've never seen what lasting satisfaction they get out of it.

And I should know!

Bridge. Bridge. Where's the bridge?

David

User Info Menu

That IS the bridge! I forgot the tune

User Info Menu

That IS the bridge! I forgot the tune
    Want to do a mashup of your song with 4'33 ? Pretty easy A section but your time needs to be good.
    David

Ragman, I'd be happy to discuss. Do you mind if we do so in another thread? I was hoping to keep this one as a repository of examples.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 09-15-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Loved Last Exit since I first heard them in 88.

Chadbourne, though, doesn't seem to belong to free jazz to my ears. Bless his heart, but in the vid the OP posted and others, he's got a bit too much structure.
    Yeah I agree. I put him in there for kicks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Good stuff! I had never heard him before, but there's loads of stuff on youtube. Wonderful to hear.

That's what's cool about these forums, turning each other on to cats, etc...

User Info Menu

David Tronzo is a master of unexpected form.

Here's a duo of epic free-form duo-ists. Dave Tronzo and Mick Goodrick in a meeting of the minds.

Free Jazz Guitarists-screen-shot-2017-09-15-9-34-39-am-png

Eric Hofbauer combining form, free-form, fretted and slide

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Want to do a mashup of your song with 4'33 ? Pretty easy A section but your time needs to be good.
    David
    There's no A section, Dave, it's just free playing. Technically there are no time issues either, it's just what it is.

User Info Menu

Two germans from the former GDR:

Joe Sachse & Uwe Kropinski

They had a group called "Doppelmoppel" 2 trombones and 2 guitars

Uwe Kropinski even invented his own guitar-pick

User Info Menu

And a younger fellow:

Ronny Graupe

I especially love the drummer. His name is Christian Lillinger. You have to see him live! He's amazing!